Maybe it's because we feel so out of our depth with parenthood that we fall back on what we know and channel our parent's voices. Perhaps we have been so conditioned as children that we have no real choice but to automatically repeat the same phrase when confronted with the same situation. I have no answer.
I'll let you be the judge. I give you the 10 things I promised myself I would never say to my kids, but have...
1. Money doesn't grow on trees.
2. Because I said so.
3. We don't always get what we want.
4. Just because all your friends are doing it doesn't mean you have to
5. Would you like a smack?
6. There are kids in other countries who are starving and they'd love to eat the food you're turning your nose up at!
7. We should have called you "whingie" - you're very good at it.
8. Turn the TV over the News is about to start.
9. You are not going anywhere until you've eaten it.
10. I don't care if all your friends have one you're not getting it.
Got your own? I'd love to hear them - add them to the list.